Wednesday 18 January 2012

The Barefoot Boy With Shoes On [b.Asa Martin]


It was midnight on the ocean 
Not a streetcar was in sight 
The sun was shining brightly 
And it rained all day that night 
It was a summer's day in winter 
And the rain was snowing fast 
And a barefoot boy with shoes on 
Stood sitting in the grass 

And the cows were making cowslips 
And the bells were ringing wet 
The bumble bees were making bums 
And smoking cigarettes 
A man went in a stable 
And came out a little hoarse 
He jumped upon his golfstick 
And rode all around the course 

While the organ peeled potatoes 
Lard was rendered by the choir 
The sexton rang a dish-rag 
Someone set the church on fire 
Holy smokes the preacher shouted 
In the rain he lost his hair 
Now his head resembles heaven 
Cause there sin't no partin' there. 

it was midnight on the ocean 
Not a horsecart was in sight 
I went into a drugstore 
To get myself a light 
The man behind the counter 
Was a lady old and gray 
Who used to peddle shoestrings 
On the road to Mandalay 

My husband's dead the lady said 
Her eyes were dry with tears 
She put her head between her feet 
And stood that way for years 
Her children six were orphans
Except one tiny tot 
Who lived in a house across the street 
Above a vacant lot 

It was evening and the sunrise 
was just setting in the west;
And the fishes in the treetops 
were all cuddled in their nests.
As the wind was blowing bubbles, 
lightning shot from left to right;
Everything that you could see 
had been hidden out of sight

As I gazed through the oaken door
A whale went drifting by
It's six legs hanging in the air
So I kissed her goodbye.
This story has a moral
As you can plainly see
Don't mix your gin with whiskey
On the deep and dark blue sea.

9 comments:

  1. All great lovers are articulate, and verbal seduction is the surest road to actual seduction. See the link below for more info.


    #seduction
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so happy I found this! My grandfather used to recite this too us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There may be noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure good factors in options also. slots for real money

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad used to resight this. I don't know if his version was right or wrong but it took a couple different turns. Regardless, I'd like to find out who wrote it and see the original version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5keRCC78T4
    Another version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned this as a child and it's so much fun to see it again. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom used to recite this to me...except for the last verse. She detested alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was one similar to this. Not as nonsensical and had a twist ending. You thought the narrater was talking about drinking to much alcohol but at the end he's talking about ice cream and eating an ice cream Sunday. Wish I could remember the tittle and the poem

    ReplyDelete